Wednesday, April 11, 2012

One Thousand Gifts

Last January my friend Polly gave me a book called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp.  In October my friend Erika sent me the same book.  I decided maybe I should read it!  So, in February I started reading and I'm not going to lie...it is slow going.  I don't get many opportunities to sit and read these days!  But I'm plugging away at it and in the mean time telling everyone I meet about this book and the incredible help it has been to me as we wade through the uncertainty which is currently our life!  Now, I would like to preface this post by saying that I'm not a Voskamp disciple...she is just a lady, albeit with a profound knack for putting "feelings" onto paper, but nonetheless...just a lady.  I don't think she would choose to be uplifted to the pedestal some feel belongs to her and if she does I don't want to know...I choose to think her humble. 
I'm realizing that this book is hard to summarize, but if I could it would be this: through the hardships and the joy of life we are given good gifts every day from a good God.  When we intentionally look for these gifts and give thanks to the One who gives all things our lives will radically change.  Discontent and fear, anger and jealous cannot live in a thankful heart.  A good God cannot give bad things...although it sometimes feels bad it is only because our perspective is skewed by the here and now of this earthly home.  I'm trying to intentionally look beyond the pain and dispair of today and thank God for all of His good gifts to me.  Will you join me?
I would like to blog my list of 1000 gifts (don't worry, I won't share all 1000)!  I'm no photographer, but I may try to add some of that too!  I would love to hear from all of you!  What are you thankful for today?  Are you sharing it with those around you? There is no better way to spread God's steadfast love than to express the good gifts God has given you.  I promise your attitude will change when gratitude is your attitude!
OK...ready, set go!

1. Thick mist across my backyard.

4. The sight of a sleepy 3 yr. old first thing in the morning.


5. Baby Smiles!

15. A quiet house.

24. Dates with my hubby.



 
49. Green Latte' mug all skinny and tall bringing my morning "fix".



50. "There are no strangers, there are no outcasts, there are no orphans of God".

My goal will be one post a week...continuing my list!  What are you thankful for today?

4 comments:

  1. Today I am thankful for three awesome boys who bring joy to my life and smiles to my face :-) Thanks for your post...it was a great encouragement to me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2982. Jenn's blog post about her gift list

    And I don't remember hearing that you had two copies--hysterical. I actually thought about sending it to you right away last year when I first ordered it in Jan/Feb (still would have been too late!), but then figured it's a good book to have a second, give-away copy, so I decided never to ask you if you had it/heard about it!!

    So thrilled that you're able to work through it slowly--so worth it. I definitely needed to mull a lot as I read--and re-read. My gratitude journal has been such an incredible blessing to my life over the last 13 months--and I actually balked at the thought of doing it myself. At first, I thought I would just try to cultivate thanksgiving without writing for the sake of time--but the "pens have eyes" line (or however it goes) undermined my argument.

    "Each breath is a battle between grudgery and gratitude." And I so often lose my battles! Thank you for your willingness to share your list and lessons "with the world"! I needed the reminder today for sure!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At age 65, 66 next month, I am thankful for living this long in spite of multiple health challenges. I am thankful for Jeanine's little boy, Brandon, who will be 4 on Sunday, for Jeremy and Hilary's 2 girls, Kylie and Jenna, and baby boy due in a few weeks. I am thankful for all the things that make this small apartment a "home." I am thankful for our 3 wonderful kitties who are our cheapest form of constant entertainment and laughter. I am thankful to finally be living in Lancaster County; most of my adult life I wanted to move here and God placed us in new Holland at the perfect time. I am thankful for our church, that Ray is still able to work at age 80 for his daughter at the Inn At Leola Village. I am thankful for our large yard where the Grand Kids can play and the garden where the butterflies and birds frolic among the flowers and feeders. I am thankful for WBYN FM and WDAC FM where I enjoy so many fine preachers and music. Most of all, I am thankful for my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. ~Ellie~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankful for a new job in an area of interest. Also for social media for providing opportunity to be encouraged by far away friends! :)

    ReplyDelete